Welcome to the Fort Bedford Museum!
Fort Bedford was a British Stockade built in 1758 as part of the French
and Indian War campaign against the French at Fort Duquesne. After several
failed attempts in the early 1750's, the British launched a major offensive
against Fort Duquesne in 1758. Facing the formidable task of crossing the
Allegheny Mountains and the threat of attack, numerous stockades were built
along the trek west. Fort Bedford was constructed as a key fortification
along the military path, Forbes Road, and served as the staging area for the
successful campaign. After the war, Fort Bedford was used as a British outpost on the frontier as refuge from
Indian attack as the exploration westward increased. The stockade stood strong until the
Travelers stopping in Bedford, PA have enjoyed visiting the historic and educational Fort Bedford Museum. In 1958, 200 years after the fort was erected by the British, a blockade style structure built out of logs and chinking now stands near the site of the first Fort Bedford.
The museum now has a main gallery, a transportation room, a rear gallery, mezzanine and gift shop. Inside, visitors will find the blockhouse structure that houses a large scale model of the original Fort depicting Forbes Road and the surrounding area. The Fort Bedford Museum also displays a broad spectrum of history: Native American artifacts collected from the region, thousands of household items dating back more than 200 years, flintlock rifles, early clothing, antique hand tools and much more that help to recreate the atmosphere of the new frontier of western Pennsylvania.
The Fort Bedford Museum would not have been possible without volunteers' skill and tireless efforts. Fort Bedford Museum would like to thank the long-time volunteers Curator Larry Yantz, Historians James Hostetler and Dr. Ronald Markwood, Sara Conway, Jeff Whetstone, Jim Kegg and Melvin Huston.
The Fourth of July Fireworks were brought back to Fort Bedford Park with the donations of Miller's Quality Recycling and Everett Cash Mutual Insurance Company -- the show was a GREAT successs. Fort Bedford Museum hosted vendor Bedford County Court Related Employees Association serving hot sausage sandwiches, a great addition to the Firework Festival.
Many thanks to Steve & Kim Miller of Miller's Quality Recycling, George Beckett of George Beckett Contacting, and Mike Peifer of Mike Piefer Contracting for donating materials and labor to replace the 1958 roof on the Transportation Room that was badly in need of repairs.
Thank you to all of our vendors that made 2011 Fall Foliage Festival great, even in the rain: Bedford County Court Related Employees Association, PA Guild Crafts Member Jill Zieglemeier, Backstage Alpaca, Dr. Bob Hileman Jr. and his wife, and Author Jeff Whetstone.
We value each tourist, student and history buff alike for visiting the Fort Bedford Museum and, lastly the Borough of Bedford for your continued support and contributions. The 2011 season could not have happened with out the help of Lisa Merritt, Manager at the Fort Bedford Museum. Without all of you, organizing, identifying and cataloging Bedford's rich history would not be possible.